There are many changes the body goes through during pregnancy. Some of the biggest changes are the structure and distribution of weight in the body. Weight gain causes the center of gravity to shift and this changes the biomechanics of the joints, adding stress to the supporting muscles, tendons, and ligaments. This combined with hormonal changes can lead to new aches and pains, or exacerbation of old injuries as early as the first trimester. Dr. Ouellette, a pregnancy chiropractor, sees patients for a variety of complaints during pregnancy. If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, including pain during pregnancy, chiropractic care can help.
– Lower back aches, especially at the end of the day
– Sharp back pain at the base of your spine, below your belt line
– Deep pain or stabbing in your gluteals, the area where your back pockets are
– Pain at the front of your pelvis, midline at the bottom of your belly or along the lower sides of your belly
– Groin pain
– Sciatica, or pain going down into your leg
– Carpal tunnel syndrome, or numbness/tingling in hands and arms
– Rib pain
Dr. Ouellette examines your spine, extremities, muscles, and tendons to find the cause of the discomfort. She can detect imbalances in the pelvis, spine, arms, and legs which can contribute to your discomfort. Additionally, she can find muscles that have tender points and other imbalances in the spine that contribute symptoms.
Chiropractic treatments are safe for the parent and baby, and are modified to ensure comfort. Dr. Ouellette treats patients for pregnancy related pain in both North and Southeast Portland. Treatments include massage, manual therapy, chiropractic adjustments, and reviewing exercises. Simple but effective stretches, strengthening exercises, and changes to activities help to give mothers tools to ease discomfort between visits and ways to prevent flare ups. If you or someone you know experiences pain during pregnancy, please contact Dr. Ouellette.